Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Veggie Quiche

I made a quiche about a month ago, & it was good but not super awesome. So I tweaked it a bit, & we loved the result. I used spinach & broccoli, but I think you could throw in any veggie you like (bell pepper, mushroom, onion) & it would still be delicious.

Ingredients
Pre-made refrigerated pie crust (I bought store brand this past time, & I think this is something you should get the name brand version of - see notes for explanation)
4 eggs
1 cup milk
Chopped spinach (I used 10 oz frozen)
Chopped broccoli (10 oz frozen)
1.5 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (you can use another kind if you want)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
Spices to taste (I used salt, pepper, onion powder)

Directions
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Let pie crust come to room temperature, then unroll & place in pie pan. Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of the crust. Put in heated oven for about 5 minutes to set (so it doesn't get soggy).
-Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add veggies (if frozen, thaw first) & garlic, stir together until warm.
-Add spices & 1 cup of the cheese, stir together until cheese is melted.
-Whisk eggs & add milk to eggs.
-Place veggie & cheese mixture in the set crust, then pour in egg mixture.
-Bake quiche in oven for 15 minutes, add remaining cheese to top, then continue baking for another 30-35 minutes until set.

Notes: I had too much veggie/cheese mixture, so I didn't use all of it. Also, my quiche overflowed the crust, I think partly because it was store brand so it sunk a bit on the sides when I set it. Didn't bother me tho, it was still yummy! So you may want to adjust your ingredients if you are going for presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment